Bronchiectasis is a common condition that often goes undiagnosed. It is estimated that BE may affect four million of the 20 million people living with moderate-to-severe COPD in the U.S.2 The gold standard for bronchiectasis diagnosis is the high-resolution CT scan, which reveals varying degrees of bronchial wall thickening and broadening of the airways.3
Over 30,000 Americans are affected by cystic fibrosis.4 In the U.S., vest therapy (also known as high frequency chest wall oscillation, or HFCWO) is considered standard care in CF treatment.5
Patients living with conditions that diminish muscle strength and challenge breathing often require airway clearance solutions. Without assisted airway clearance, accumulated secretions can worsen respiratory health or exacerbate existing symptoms.6
1. American Lung Association, (n.d.). https://www.lung.org/about-us/mission-impact-and-history/our-impact.html.
2. Tilert T, Dillon C, Paulose-Ram R, Hnizdo E, Doney B. Estimating the U.S. prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease using pre- and post-bronchodilator spirometry: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007-2010. Respir Res. 2013;14:103.
3. Goeminne P, Dupont L. Non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: diagnosis and management in 21st century. Postgrad Med J. 2010;86(1018):493-501.
4. About Cystic Fibrosis, (n.d.).https://www.cff.org/What-is-CF/About-Cystic-Fibrosis
5. Nicolini A, Cardini F, Landucci N, Lanata S, Ferrari-Bravo M, Barlascini C. Effectiveness of treatment with high-frequency chest wall oscillation in patients with bronchiectasis. BMC Pulm Med 2013; 13:21.
6.Cole P. The damaging role of bacteria in chronic lung infection. The J Antimicrob Chemother 1997;40 Suppl A:5-10.
You are about to visit a Philips global content pageContinue
You are about to visit the Philips USA website.I understand
Our site can best be viewed with the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox.